The Board of Trustees is the educational policy-making body for Texas public school districts. To effectively meet the challenges of public education, school boards and superintendents must function together as a leadership team. Each leadership team must annually assess their development needs as a corporate body and individually to gain an understanding of the vision, structure, accountability, advocacy, and unity needed to provide educational programs and services that ensure the equity and excellence in performance of all students. The Framework for School Board Development has been approved by the State Board of Education to provide the critical areas of development for all public school boards.
• The board keeps the district focus on the educational welfare of all children.
• The board adopts a shared vision based on community beliefs to guide local education.
• The board ensures that the vision supports the state's mission, objectives, and goals for education established by law.
• The board ensures that the district vision expresses the present and future needs of the children and community.
• The board demonstrates its commitment to the vision by using the vision to guide all board deliberations, decisions, and actions.
• The board recognizes the respective roles of the legislature, State Board of Education, the Texas Education Agency, and local boards of trustees in the governance of the public schools.
• The board fulfills the statutory duties of the local board of trustees and upholds all laws, rules, ethical procedures, and court orders pertaining to schools and school employees.
• The board focuses its actions on policy making, planning, and evaluation.
• The board adopts a planning and decision making process consistent with state statute that uses participation, information, research, and evaluation to help achieve the district's vision.
• The board ensures that the district planning and decision making process enables all segments of the community, parents, and professional staff to contribute meaningfully to achieving the district's vision.
• The board develops and adopts policies that provide guidance for accomplishing the district's vision, mission, and goals.
• The board adopts a budget that incorporates sound business and fiscal practices and provides resources to achieve the district's vision, mission, and goals.
• The board adopts goals, approves student performance objectives, and establishes policies that provide a well-balanced curriculum resulting in improved student learning.
• The board approves goals, policies, and programs that ensure a safe and disciplined environment conducive to learning.
• The board oversees the management of the district by employing a superintendent and evaluating the superintendent's performance in providing education leadership, managing daily operations, and performing all duties assigned by law.
• The board adopts policies and standards for hiring, assigning, appraising, and compensating school district personnel in compliance with state laws and rules.
• The board ensures progress toward achievement of district goals through a systematic, timely, and comprehensive review of reports prepared by or at the direction of the superintendent.
• The board monitors the effectiveness and efficiency of instructional programs by reviewing reports prepared by or at the direction of the superintendent and directs the superintendent to make modifications that promote maximum achievement for all students.
• The board insures that appropriate assessments are used to measure achievement of all students.
• The board reports district progress to parents and community in compliance with state laws and regulations.
• The board reviews district policies for effective support of the district's vision, mission, and goals.
• The board reviews the efficiency and effectiveness of district operations and use of resources in supporting the district's vision, mission, and goals.
• The board evaluates the superintendent's performance annually in compliance with state laws and regulations.
• The board annually evaluates its performance in fulfilling the board's duties and responsibilities, and the board's ability to work with the superintendent as a team.
• The board demonstrates its commitment to the shared vision, mission, and goals by clearly communicating them to the superintendent, the staff and community.
• The board ensures an effective two-way communication system between the district and its students, employees, media and the community.
• The board builds partnerships with community, business, and governmental leaders to influence and expand educational opportunities and meet the needs of students.
• The board supports children by establishing partnerships between the district, parents, business leaders, and other community members as an integral part of the district's educational program.
• The board leads in recognizing the achievements of students, staff, and others in education.
• The board promotes school board service as a meaningful way to make long-term contributions to the local community and society.
• The board develops skills in teamwork, problem solving, and decision making.
• The board establishes and follows local policies, procedures, and ethical standards governing the conduct and operations of the board.
• The board understands and adheres to laws and local policies regarding the board's responsibility to set policy and the superintendent's responsibility to manage the school district and to direct employees in district and campus matters.
• The board recognizes the leadership role of the board president and adheres to law and local policies regarding the duties and responsibilities of the board president and other officers.
• The board adopts and adheres to established policies and procedures for receiving and addressing ideas and concerns from students, employees, and the community.
• The board makes decisions as a whole only at properly called meetings and recognizes that individual members have no authority to take individual action in policy or district and campus administrative matters.
• The board supports decisions of the majority after honoring the right of individual members to express opposing viewpoints and vote their convictions.