Texas Essential Knowledge Skills - Learning Standards
Every day our world becomes more complex and demanding. To succeed beyond high school, students must be better prepared than at any time in the history of our state. Consequently, expectations for our students and our schools are higher than they have ever been. To meet these expectations, the State Board of Education has adopted a curriculum framework for Texas schools — the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). These learning standards will help ensure that all students are prepared to meet the challenges ahead of them as they move into the next century:
• Each student must become a more effective reader.
• Each student must know and apply more complex mathematics.
• Each student must develop a stronger understanding of science concepts, especially in biology, chemistry, and physics.
• Each student must master the social studies skills and content necessary to be a responsible adult citizen.
• Each student must master a wider range of technological skills.
• Each student must master skills in fine arts, including art, music, and theatre.
• Each student must master skills in languages other than English, health education and physical education.
The Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills identify what Texas students should know and be able to do at every grade and in every course in the required curriculum as they move successfully through our public schools.